Translate

lundi 7 octobre 2013

Borsch


So this is a bit far from the gluten subject but I thought it would be a good thing to show food ideas that don't necessarily involve wheat substitutes.

Borsch (or borscht, bortsch, borstch, borsh, and borshch according to Wikipedia, you can basically write it any way you want so long as the sh and r sounds are still there) is a very popular beetroot-based soup in Russia and Eastern Europe. Its main advantages are that it includes potatoes (for the carbs) and no wheat flour is added.
It is a great winter dish and, when you make it, you usually have enough soup for at least 5 dinners!

I made some last night and it tasted delicious. The Russians usually add smetana (a type of sour cream) on top when serving it for extra self-indulgence!

The traditional version uses beef meat and the process becomes very lengthy, so for this version I used my mother's technique (put it all in one pot and cook it) and I did not put meat in.


Here are the ingredients:

8 cups beef broth
1 large onion, peeled, quartered
3 large beets, peeled, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
2 large russet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh dill
Bay leaves
Coriander

The traditional version uses beef meat and the process becomes very long, so my version used my mother's technique (put it all in one pot and cook it) and I did not put meat in. I cooked it all for about an hour. The herbs are optional but when it comes to my tastes, the more herbs, the better!


The more elaborate version with beef meat is also worth a try!

1 commentaire:

  1. Cet article est merveilleux. J'ai acheté un billet d'avion au départ de flysky.ro pour voir cette paix et aussi mange du borsch :)

    RépondreSupprimer